Your first step in the application process is to be nominated by your home university as an exchange student. Contact your home university’s study abroad, exchange, or international office to learn more about this process.
You will apply online for exchange at UW-Madison. UW Study Abroad does not require any paper application forms. Your home university’s study abroad office will provide you with a direct link to our exchange student application system.
Fall and Academic Year: March 1
Spring and Calendar Year: October 1
Your home university may give you an earlier deadline to follow. Once you successfully complete our application, you will receive an email confirming receipt of your application from firstname.lastname@example.org. If you did not receive a confirmation email from UW Exchange, you did not submit your application properly. Please double-check your application and contact us with questions. It is your responsibility to apply on time.
As part of your application, you will need to submit a number of scanned documents. Our online application provides more details about the exact requirements, but be prepared to submit:
- Official Transcript/Student Record
- Passport ID Page
- English Language Proficiency Certification
- Most students whose home educational system provides instruction in a non-English language need to submit this.
- Choose between TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo English Test (DET)
- TOEFL score requirement varies by which UW Study Abroad exchange office you will be applying through:
- IAP General Exchange – 95
- WSB Business Exchange – 95
- ENGR Engineering Exchange – 90
- CALS Exchange – 95
- IELTS: 6.5
- DET: 115
- Financial Support Certification
- Proof of adequate funds in order to qualify for the J-1 visa.