We collaborate with academic units to develop and deliver safe, high-quality study abroad and domestic study away programs that foster students’ academic, personal, and professional growth.
- Study abroad is integral to the learning experience at UW-Madison.
- By fostering global citizenship, study abroad advances the Wisconsin Idea on campus, throughout the state and in communities all around the world.
- All students deserve access to study abroad programs.
We are committed to:
- Putting Students First
- Increasing Access and Inclusion
- Being One Team
- Maintaining and Upholding Standards
Creative new program development, stronger collaborations and academic connections across campus, and increased funding for scholarships have all contributed to the success of study abroad at UW-Madison. However, program costs, better awareness of study abroad, and programs that fit for all majors remain as challenges for many students.
To address these challenges, so that financial barriers are reduced and programs are academically and professionally relevant, impactful and accessible to all students and majors across campus, we have identified the following strategic priorities:
Access, Diversity, and Inclusion
- Develop tools and studies to better understand considerations and needs regarding access, diversity and inclusion
- Make recommendations and implement practices to better serve students, support staff, and decrease barriers, financial and otherwise
- Demonstrate tangible increased access and participation among underrepresented groups
New Program and Initiatives
- Further diversity location, academic focus, duration, and structure of programs to reach as many students as possible across majors, levels, and interests
- Continue innovative partnerships with faculty and units across campus to identify creative new program models and ideas to further engage students and faculty
Cross Campus Partnerships and Communication
- Continue partnerships across campus to maximize support for UW-Madison in study abroad endeavors
- Develop messaging to break down misconceptions about study abroad and best match students to programs that meet that academic and professional development needs
- Engage faculty and staff across campus to best serve their needs and educate campus about how we can best partner to support students
- Continue with Major Advising Pages and other initiatives across campus which further integrate study abroad programs with on-campus academic programs and reduces Time to Degree of study abroad participation
- Ensure study abroad staff are continuously trained in the best practices in the field to ensure high quality and safe experiences for students
- Strive to maintain staff specializations that best serve campus and maximize efficiency, safety, and study abroad quality and participation
- Remain a national leader in international education and help advance and develop the field nationally