Discover the world…and bring the world back to Wisconsin!
Study abroad is an integral part of a UW-Madison education and can be one of the highlights of a student’s time here.
One way we support students financially is by providing as many Badgers as possible with Study Abroad Scholars awards.
Awards are given in the following amounts:
- $1,500 towards winter intersession programs
- $2,500 towards summer programs
- $5,000 towards semester programs
- $8,000 towards yearlong programs
All UW-Madison students are encouraged to apply to become a Study Abroad Scholar.
Study Abroad Scholar applicants must:
- Be in the process of applying, or have already applied, to a UW-Madison study abroad program
- Be a full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate student at UW-Madison
- Submit completed scholarship application online via Wisconsin Scholarship Hub by the deadline for the appropriate term
Additional consideration for some of the awards will be given to
- Students who possess the following characteristics and/or traits:
- First generation college student
- First time abroad
- STEM majors (science, technology, engineering, and math)
- Cumulative GPA above 3.8
- Participating on a UW Signature Program
- Participating on a semester or yearlong program
- Participating on the Kazakhstan, Almaty: ACTR Russian Overseas Flagship Capstone Program
Completed applications must be submitted online by the deadline posted. If your study abroad program application isn’t due until after this date, you must still submit your scholarship application by this date to be considered. Incomplete applications or applications submitted to the office will not be considered.
To apply, please log into Wisconsin Scholarship Hub (WiSH).
All applicants will need to respond to the essay prompt: “In the context of your specific study abroad program and your own background and interests, what do you hope to gain from your time abroad?”. Essays need to be 750 words or less.
Recipients are asked to complete an engagement activity either while abroad or when they return to share their experiences with future students. Opportunities will be shared via email when available. Past activities have included blogging correspondent, social media correspondent, event volunteer, and more.
Interested in more information about study abroad scholarships?
For additional scholarship information, visit our scholarship page.