Discover the world…and bring the world back to Wisconsin!
Study Abroad is an integral part of a UW-Madison education and can be one of the highlights of a student’s time here. UW study abroad hopes to make this possible for as many Badgers as possible with Study Abroad Scholars awards, starting at $1,500 towards short-term/summer program, $3,000 towards semester programs, and $4,000 towards year-long programs. All students applying to UW study abroad programs should consider this award!
Additional consideration for some of the awards will be given to students who possess the following characteristics and/or traits:
- First generation college student
- First time abroad
- STEM majors (science, technology, engineering, and math)
- Cumulative GPA above 3.8
Students attending any UW study abroad program are encouraged to apply to become a Study Abroad Scholar. For some of the awards, additional consideration will be given to students planning to participate on programs meeting the following criteria:
- Programs listed in the “UW Signature Programs” Category
- Semester and Year-long Programs
Student Eligibility Requirements
In order to be considered for Study Abroad Scholars for this application round, an applicant must:
- Be in the process of applying, or have already applied, to a UW study abroad program for Spring 2020, Winter Break 2019-2020, Calendar Year 2020
- Be a full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate student at UW-Madison
- Submit completed scholarship application online by September 23, 2019
Completed applications must be submitted online by September 23, 2019. If your study abroad program application isn’t due until after this date, you must still submit your scholarship application by this date to be considered. Incomplete applications or applications submitted to the office will not be considered.
To apply, please log into Wisconsin Scholarship Hub (WiSH).
All applicants will need to respond to the essay prompt: “In the context of your specific study abroad program and your own background and interests, what do you hope to gain from your time abroad?”. Essays need to be 750 words or less.
Interested in more information about study abroad scholarships?
For additional scholarship information, visit our scholarship page.